Skip to main content

Microsoft and The Bombay Club

Gopi thinks I am a Microsoft basher. Vaibhav thinks I am a fan of theirs. The reason I am giving both extremes reasons to be happy is that I am none!

Yes I use Windows Vista on my laptop and my resolve of installing Solaris Desktop dwindled since I speeded up booting by turning User Account Control off (from about 5 minutes to about 5 seconds!) and I wrote reviews of several Microsoft offerrings but am I a fan of Microsoft?

I have written about how irritating and stupid Microsoft products can be at times and how Third Party software works better on their OS as compared to their own and often I have complained about their software not being supported on other OSs but does that prove me a Microsoft basher?

I think I am somewhere in the middle ground. I use Microsoft's products and appreciate them for all their goodness. They are popular and by hook or by crook MS has garnered maximum users. These software may not be best available but they do work pretty well for most of the users. But most doesn't mean ALL.

In response to my arguement that why Microsoft produces software that will run only on Windows OSs, Gopi says this is their business strategy. Most of their users are Windows users and why to bother about running these applications on a Mac or Red Hat. I have to agree.

This reminds me of the Bombay Club. Bombay Club was a group of Indian industrialists who wanted protective measures to save Indian industries from foreign competition. They opposed opening of the economy. Microsoft is behaving in same manner. By not opting to compete openly on foreign-turf they are being protective. I believe that Microsoft is a good company with good developers who can write software that will be good enough for even non-Windows platform. MS wants to win in Web and they have done pretty good, but I am surprised by their reluctance to play the game by the rules in desktop market even when they are developing free software. The free software and frameworks are still only on Windows. Though you could hack OS to install MS software but why should anyone bother to toil so much for software which is not actually good enough as free software which is easy to obtain and easy to install!

We have seen that opening of Indian economy lead to an Indian surge. Now question is will Microsoft ever take courage to open its economy?


Technorati Tags: ,

Comments

Neha said…
Hmmm...nice thought...but MS is more concerned about their profit and position in the market than 'playing fair' or 'playing by the rules' and I guess its justified...
Waterfox said…
And who says that by playing by the rules you don't profit.
Also by saying 'Play by the rules' I meant that they should follow the tactics of the market!

Popular posts from this blog

How to upload to Google Cloud Storage buckets using CURL

Signed URLs are pretty nifty feature given by Google Cloud Platform to let anyone access your cloud storage (bucket or any file in the bucket) without need to sign in. Official documentation gives step by step details as to how to read/write to the bucket using gsutil or through a program. This article will tell you how to upload a file to the bucket using curl so that any client which doesn't have cloud SDK installed can do this using a simple script. This command creates a signed PUT URL for your bucket. gsutil signurl -c 'text/plain' -m PUT serviceAccount.json gs://test_bucket_location Here is my URL: https://storage.googleapis.com/test_sl?GoogleAccessId=my-project-id@appspot.gserviceaccount.com&Expires=1490266627&Signature=UfKBNHWtjLKSBEcUQUKDeQtSQV6YCleE9hGG%2BCxVEjDOmkDxwkC%2BPtEg63pjDBHyKhVOnhspP1%2FAVSr%2B%2Fty8Ps7MSQ0lM2YHkbPeqjTiUcAfsbdcuXUMbe3p8FysRUFMe2dSikehBJWtbYtjb%2BNCw3L09c7fLFyAoJafIcnoIz7iJGP%2Br6gAUkSnZXgbVjr6wjN%2FIaudXIqA

Running Apache Beam pipeline using Spark Runner on a local standalone Spark Cluster

The best thing about Apache Beam ( B atch + Str eam ) is that multiple runners can be plugged in and same pipeline can be run using Spark, Flink or Google Cloud Dataflow. If you are a beginner like me and want to run a simple pipeline using Spark Runner then whole setup may be tad daunting. Start with Beam's WordCount examples  which help you quickstart with running pipelines using different types of runners. There are code snippets for running the same pipeline using different types of runners but here the code is running on your local system using Spark libraries which is good for testing and debugging pipeline. If you want to run the pipeline on a Spark cluster you need to do a little more work! Let's start by setting up a simple standalone single-node cluster on our local machine. Extending the cluster is as easy as running a command on another machine, which you want to add to cluster. Start with the obvious: install spark on your machine! (Remember to have Java a

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Malformed \uxxxx encoding

I was getting this exception during build while running ant. Googling didn't help much and I was flummoxed because the same code was running fine till now. My code reads a text file and does some operations on the basis of values read. It was only when I saw the text files I understood the error. I had copied the text in wordpad and saved it as .txt file. Wordpad had put lot of formatting information before and after the content. Also there was "\par" after every line, which was giving this error. So moral of the story: if you get this exception check your properties file (or any other file that your code might be reading.)